While adults attend Sunday morning worship services at 10:30 a.m., the children participate in an informal “service” of their own that includes a lesson, play, laughter and prayer.
The teacher presents the theme for the day. Each lesson is found in our sacred writings or Unity principles and is based on a spiritual principle that is explored through questions (open-ended) and active play (art, creating, thinking, etc.).
The classroom environment is structured to allow the children to express and explore their understanding of the lesson, and how it impacts their daily lives.
Children will experience being with a spiritual community of like-minded peers who can support one another through age-appropriate choices.
Unity Co-founder Myrtle Fillmore believed our mission was not to “entertain the children, but instead, to draw them out.” The Living Curriculum is an approach or philosophy which affirms that the curriculum – that which is to be learned or known – already lives within the adult, child or teen, themselves. This approach moves us past the belief that teachers have all the answers and need to impart them to the students. Instead, there is a realization that all of us are uniquely unfolding on our spiritual path, having access to the Spirit within.
Unity’s Five Basic Principles for Children
1. God is all good and active in everything, everywhere.
2. I am naturally good because God’s divinity is in me and in everyone.
3. I create my experiences by what I choose to think and what I feel and believe.
4. Through affirmative prayer and meditation, I connect with God and bring out the good in my life.
5. I do and give my best by living the truth I know. I make a difference.
Our Teen Ministry Program allows 6th-12th graders to explore what they believe and use this truth to create a personal relationship with God that brings purpose to their everyday lives. We help teens to explore their spirituality with an offering of Sunday morning classes and regional rallies and camps.
Our program is designed to help teens apply the teachings of Jesus as well as other spiritual masters, learn the power of prayer, and experience a stronger connection with God every day … all in an atmosphere of love, laughter and safety!
Unity believes that we are all spiritual beings having a human experience. Spirituality is part of all of us! Our divine nature is not something that needs to be instilled by someone else; rather, it is drawn out through deeply loving interactions and experiences.
Our Teen Ministry Program provides an environment that:
- Engages and supports each individual teen in his or her own unique spiritual self-discovery process;
- Encourages a greater understanding of the Bible from a Unity perspective;
- Explores Spiritual principles and their relevance in the modern world;
- Invites greater awareness and expression of our Oneness with God and each other;
- Encourages authenticity and openness in all interactions and explorations; and
- Equips teens with diverse spiritual tools and practices to meet the challenges of teenage life.
Call out the children…
by Myrtle Fillmore, co-founder of Unity
Our mission is not to entertain the children, but to call them out. To be always entertained is to be dwarfed and dependent. To be “called out” is to follow the harmonious law of the soul’s unfoldment. Who meddles with the rosebud? What fingers are deft enough to pry open that marvel of folded beauty? We are wise enough to leave it alone to follow the glad law of its own unfolding, but our children! Have we dealt as wisely with these buds of marvelous possibilities? Have we always remembered that they, too, must quicken and unfold through the innate law of their own genius?